SOME CURRENT JOB HEADLINES FOR TODAY.
Full vacancy title: Principal Monitoring Evaluation and Project Portfolio Management Expert – AHWS/AWF
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Position Grade: PL4
Position Number: 50091566
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 81 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative interventions that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In addition to providing finance, the Bank is Africa’s voice on global economic, financial and development issues, a role that has taken significant importance in light of increasing global integration and interconnection. In order to sharply focus on the objectives of the Ten-Year Strategy TYS (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major goals, all of which will accelerate delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up. These include: (i) Power and Light up Africa; (ii) Feed Africa; (iii) Industrialize Africa; (iv) Integrate Africa; and (v) Improve the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Vice Presidency for Agriculture, Human, and Social Development (AHVP) is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy High 5s priorities of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”. The Complex comprises five departments: (i) Agriculture and Agro-Industry Development (AHAI); (ii) Agriculture Finance and Rural Development (AHFR); (iii) Gender, Women and Civil Society (AHGC); (iv) Water Development and Sanitation (AHWS); and, (v) Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development (AHHD). The complex objectives are to: (i) develop policy and strategy; (ii) provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pools of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions; and (iii) develop new financing instruments.
The Vice-President acts as the Bank’s spokesperson with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENTS/DIVISION(S):
The African Water Facility (AWF) is an initiative of the African Ministers’ Council on Water (AMCOW) to mobilize resources to finance water sector facilitation and investment activities in Africa. The AWF was established within the context of the Africa Water Vision and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The African Development Bank hosts and manages the AWF at the request of AMCOW. The resources of the AWF are primarily allocated to: water resources projects and programmes focused on improving the enabling environment for sustainable national and regional water resources management, preparing projects and programmes for immediate capital investments, and providing resources for strategic and small-scale investments. The AWF plans, organizes and carries out activities related to projects and programs cycle activities (identification, preparation, appraisal implementation and supervision) in the above areas, in all African countries; undertakes studies on issues regarding the water sector development and related areas; provides advice and technical assistance to African countries; and ensures coordination and synergy with other partners and donors in the water and sanitation sector in Africa. The AWF currently manages a portfolio of projects valued at €170.5 million spread all over Africa.
The Principal Monitoring, Evaluation (M&E) and Project Portfolio Management Expert will be the focal point person on all issues related to monitoring and evaluation of the AWF Work Programmes and project portfolio, providing technical guidance and advice to Project Task Managers on appropriate results management frameworks and M&E approaches for all Water and Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) interventions being undertaken by the Facility.
The position has the following work objectives:
- To provide a lead role in the design, measurement, management, analysis and packaging of results data and development impacts on WASH interventions for reporting and knowledge management. The function will require collaboration with all units in AHWS and other departments in the Bank, and external platforms. The position is imperative in ensuring that M&E protocols, templates, processes, policies, systems and databases are in place, functioning properly in the work of the AWF.
- Maintain linkage for the African Water Facility and the Bank with global development partners and M&E platforms to demonstrate the AWF and the Bank’s contribution to development data and results achievements to track the continent’s development progress towards targeted sustainable development goals relating to WASH.
The principal accountabilities and responsibilities for the Monitoring, Evaluation and Project Portfolio Management Expert:
M&E Coordination and Collaboration:
- Coordinate M&E tasks and functions for the African Water Facility, ensuring results reporting across projects and programmes follows appropriate and laid down procedures and practices for data standardization and quality.
- Support the identification of new projects, development of appraisal reports, defining and reviewing results frameworks, tracking implementation of activities during implementation, measure results and provide feedback to management for reporting and decision making.
- Support AWF staff with project cycle activities in implementation of M & E systems assessments at the national and regional level. This includes development of results frameworks, coordinating and reviewing data collection for key indicators, lead in planning and supervision of activity implementation.
- In collaboration with Project Task Managers, define action plans to improve project quality and monitor programme implementation, analyse programme portfolio structure and trends and proposed measures for ensuring project quality at entry and advise the AWF Coordinator accordingly.
- Coordinate the AWFs and AHWS efforts to contribute WASH data and information to regional and global M&E initiatives and platforms such as the UN-Water GLAAS, UNICEF/WHO Joint Monitoring Program, AMCOW, and others; and represent the Bank on such platforms.
- Cooperate with other Bank Departments on issues related to results measurements, evaluation and knowledge management- IDEV, SNDR, SNOQ, ECMR, ECST, among others.
- Collaborate with internal and external entities to plan and conduct evaluations and other sector studies in the Department, ensuring application of appropriate methodologies, credibility of analysis, and utilization of findings for effective decision making on upscaling, resource allocation, and systematic organizational learning.
- Provide management reports on programme implementation progress flagging key issues for management attention and actions for improved performance and results.
Project Portfolio Management and Coordination
- Coordinate the AWF project portfolio performance, collecting data and progress updates from Project Task Managers for tracking implementation progress and reporting.
- Manage the quality of the AWF project portfolio through development of portfolio management tools that monitor the performance of all AWF projects.
- Analyze project portfolio structure and trends and report to AWF Coordinator.
- Liaise with Project Task Managers to ensure the good performance of AWF project portfolio in line with required benchmarks and plans on disbursement, project supervision, tracking and close out activities.
- Draw up project portfolio performance improvement action plans in collaboration with Project Task Managers for non-performing or poor performing projects, drawing management’s attention to important decisions required to improve the portfolio performance.
- Provide regular AWF portfolio performance reports for management.
Systems Development, Compliance, Quality Control and Reporting:
- Coordinate data supply into Bank’s results reporting systems and follow-up with relevant teams for consistent entries to measure progress, outcomes and development impact of the Bank’s interventions on water and sanitation.
- Oversee and manage M&E database, reporting, ensuring regular updates as well as accurate generation of information. Ensure availability of AWF data on the Bank’s Collaboration space.
- Develop key M&E guidance and lend appropriate mentoring and coaching to promote compliance and uptake in the Department.
- Provide quality control for all aspects of M&E and results measurements on AWF results metrics included in the Bank’s Result Measurement Framework.
- Oversee assemblage, analysis, organization and sharing of results of the AWF with the AHWS Front Office and other Departments and participate in preparation of knowledge products to better tell the Bank’s story.
- Participate in contribute to the drafting of AWF mid-year, annual and other corporate reports.
M&E Backstopping and Capacity Strengthening:
- Provide backstop on M&E in the generation, collation and analysis of performance data into AWF’s operations and RMF, ensuring appropriate use of M&E protocols and compliance to M&E procedures and mechanisms.
- Liaise with other units in the Bank to deliver top-notch capacity strengthening programs to the Department and AWF staff, regional hubs and other stakeholders to improve M&E functions.
- Spearhead processes to integrate findings and lessons from AWF evaluations into strategies and operations for increased impact of sector operations.
- Follow-up and report on progress of implementation of AWF related actions from evaluation recommendations in the Management Actions Record System (MARS).
- Cooperate with Project Task Managers in designing and implementing interventions to strengthen country `M&E and improving coordination amongst stakeholders
- Assist project teams in the design and management of M&E systems’ interventions.
COMPETENCIES (skills, experience and knowledge):
- Hold at least a Master’s degree in Social Sciences and Economics, Statistics, Monitoring and Evaluation, International Development or related disciplines.
- Have a minimum of six (6) years of experience in the position of M&E in a development organization, including an international NGOs, donor organization or a reputable organization/institution working in core areas of water and sanitation.
- Demonstrable sound knowledge of M&E methodologies and approaches in the global development arena particularly in the area of water and sanitation systems.
- Knowledge of M&E systems and procedures, particularly in relation to donor requirements and reporting on water and sanitation.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and strategic thinking skills.
- Good oral and communication skills, including writing and editing technical development reports. Ability to communicate to influence, motivate and change behavior, by inspiring to create enthusiasm for right work approaches.
- Good interpersonal skills with ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team and a multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and/or French, with a working knowledge of the other language
- Competence in the use of the standard Microsoft software applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and SAP; and in database management.
THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK (AFDB) ON BEHALF OF THE AFRICAN WATER FACILITY (AWF) WHICH IS THE EMPLOYER FOR THIS POSITION POSTS THIS ADVERTISEMENT. ENGAGEMENT AS STAFF OF AWF DOES NOT OFFER ANY EXPECTATION FOR FUTURE EMPLOYMENT AS STAFF IN THE AfDB.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
Please don’t just stop the search if you are not “OK” with the above condition and Remember the saying the more you apply the better the chance of getting a Job so consider applying for the below JOB now
Don’t forget to add our Social Media Channels below to enable you get all the news before leaving your bed.
Fellow us :